October Event in DC to UNITE to Face Addiction and Advocate Recovery
August 20, 2015 – Steven Tyler, Joe Walsh, Sheryl Crow and many other musicians and bands will come together on October 4, 2015 in DC for the “Who We Are – Facing Addiction” rally to raise awareness and start a conversation on an important issue: addition and recovery. Organizers want to start a conversation about addiction and treat it as a health issue, not a criminal one. The event will include music by Steven Tyler, Joe Walsh and others, but will also feature speakers getting the word out about one of the most pressing health issues facing us, addiction. Their goal is to citizen-lobby at a grassroots level on “Advocacy Day” for more funding for addiction treatment centers to help addicts get into recovery. Read more about this event on their website below, and check back to JTMP regularly as we will keep you updated and will cover the event and hopefully get some videos to post on our JTMP YouTube Channel. Below is the vision and mission goals of “Who We Are – Facing Addiction”.
Bring together the best resources in the field in order to reduce the human and social costs of addiction, every year, until this public health crisis is eliminated.
- Build a grassroots constituency to give the millions affected by addiction a voice
- “Rebrand addiction” to create the understanding, empathy, outrage and demand urgently needed to advance solutions
- Increase access to effective prevention, treatment and recovery programs
- Translate scientific innovation into useful tools and services
- Advocate for governments to implement evidence-based policies and regulatory practices to end addiction
- Widely share the proof of long-term recovery