On June 23rd, Van Jones and The Roots will be launching a campaign Called "Rebuild The Dream" calling on Wall Street and the Super Rich to pay their fair share, and for government to invest in jobs and infrastructure. They will call for the need to cut oil subsidies, not cut teacher and firefighter jobs. They will be coordinating with MoveOn.org for a 50-state campaign pushing progressive values. Check back on JTMP.ORG as we will be updating you on this as it unfolds.
Van Jones: "Over the next hours and days, all who love this country need to do everything possible to spread the "spirit of Madison" to all 50 states. This does not mean we need to occupy 50 state capitol buildings; things elsewhere are not yet that dire. But this weekend, the best of America should rally on the steps of every statehouse in the union.
The American ideal most in need of defense is our most essential one: the American Dream.
The steps needed to renew and redeem the American Dream are straightforward and simple:
- Increase revenue for America's government sensibly by making Wall Street and the super-rich pay their fair share.
- Reduce spending responsibly by cutting the real fat – like corporate welfare for military contractors, big agriculture and big oil.
- Simultaneously protect the heart and soul of America – our teachers, nurses and first responders.
- Guarantee the health, safety and success of our children and communities by leaving the muscle and bone of America's communities intact.
- Maintain the American Way by treating employees with dignity and respecting their right to a seat at the bargaining table.
- Rebuild the middle class – and pathways into it – by fighting for a "made in America" innovation and manufacturing agenda, including trade and currency policies that honor American workers and entrepreneurs.
- Stand for the idea that, in a crisis, Americans turn TO each other – and not ON each other."
On their website they say:
"We grew up hearing about the American Dream. It’s the dream of a country where, if you work hard and play by the rules, you can live with dignity, provide for your family, and give your kids a better life. A country where we strive for greatness–and take care of each other when times get hard."
For more information go to:
They have launched a Facebook Page, and while you are there make sure you "Like" the JTMP Facebook Page also: